Walk-in freezers are critical for many businesses, so it is important to recognize the dangers that they can pose to your employees. Understanding the hazards associated with walk-in freezers and having procedures set to protect your employees will help lower any health and safety risk associated with your walk-in freezer. These recommendations can help you prevent accidents and keep your business running smoothly.
- Keep Your Walk-In Freezer Clean. A clean freezer will reduce the risk of injury or harm to your employees. It is important to clean spills immediately after they occur. You can use a floor squeegee to guide water into drains so that no puddles or ice will be left on the floor. That way employees won’t be at risk of slips or falls. Cleanliness will also reduce the chance that mold or fungus will grow in your walk-in freezer. As you know this can harm your employees’ health and your inventory.
- Organization Is Key. Remember to not overload your shelves. Not only is a packed walk-in freezer inefficient, it is also dangerous. Your shelves could collapse, and employees could get hurt by moving products. Step stools are a great tool to keep in your freezer for hard-to-reach items.
- Check Safety Release Latches Regularly. To avoid the risk of accidental entrapment, regularly check the safety release on your door to ensure it is functioning properly.
- Use Appropriate Clothing. Have clothing available for your employees to use if they will be spending time in your walk-in freezer. Your employees will feel more comfortable, be more productive, and have less risk of circulation problems. Rubber soled shoes will also stabilize your employees and keep them from slipping or falling.
- Communication Makes the Difference. Encourage your employees to talk to each other and communicate when entering the walk-in freezer. A buddy system could also be used to protect your employees.
Using these recommendations will lower the risks of accidents and keep your operations running smoothly. At QRC, we offer regular maintenance to keep your walk-in freezers in working order. We can service any size or make of walk-in freezers. Give us a call to learn more today.